Friday, April 24, 2009

Answer: About the same as winning the state lottery.

















Question: What are the chances that Grandma can call the 800 number that goes to the MTC (the one you call to get a free video or BofM) and Elder Jordan Guthrie, who mans one of the lines for one hour a week (which hour is unknown to us)will answer.

It's true, ever since we found out from on of Jordy's letters that he answers the 800 number one hour a week Grandma Drexell has fought the urge to call until she gets Jordy on the line. Don't worry though, we're keeping her busy and away from phones!

Sorry for not posting the last few letters from Elder Guthrie, I'll have to work on that. This past Wednesday he shared an interesting story. He was doing his hour manning the phone and the first call he received was from a woman who said,"My mother is dying. Can you help me save her?" If he'd been telling me the story in person I would have laughed at this point, thinking it was some misdirected 911 call. I'm glad it was through his 30 minute computer time instead, because I could tell from the rest of the story that Jordy was sincere. He said, "Ma, I wasn't even nervous. I just let the Spirit help me know what to say to her." They spoke for a while and she agreed to let the missionaries come to her house and give her a discussion.

The more I communicate with my missionary son I am amazed at how much he is growing and I am more and more sure that this mission is where he is suppose to be. I think of all the things that I would have prevented him from doing for himself because I love him and want to make his load lighter. If you're a parent, you know what I mean.

Then I thought about another young man who served a mission of sorts. His father loved him too. On his mission he was asked to give his very life for the good of all mankind. Surely his Father ached to make his son's load easier. But there was a plan, and hard as it was for the Father, he knew not to interfere. Our Father in Heaven loves us so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to earth and allowed Him to suffer and die for us.

I know that, along with the uplifting times, Jordy will experience trying times on his mission. But I also know that, like someone I love once said, "If we can't send Mike Hancock's grandson to do the hard stuff, who can we send?"

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievable!
    My boys pray for Elder Guthrie every night!
    Thanks so much for keeping this updated, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things are just too wonderful for words...

    I love you Lisa. I'm glad that Elder Guthrie can do hard things.

    Won't be long before he'll call saying it's time to go to Mexico!!

    ReplyDelete